To: Coastal Georgia Council Friends, Families, Volunteers and Members
From: Clif Morris – Scout Executive
At the direction of our Federal, State and Local authorities, the Scout Service Center, Camp Tolochee, Black Creek Scout Reservation and all Council, District and Unit Activities will remain CLOSED until May 1, 2020. Unit activities should follow the national directives provided at this link: https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/
A special Covid19 E-blast, coastalgeorgiabsa.com and Facebook UPDATE will be released no later than FRIDAY, APRIL 24 with specific closing extensions or optimistic program openings.
We continue to monitor this situation like churches and all community organizations placing the safety of our scouts, Coastal Georgia Council team members, camp staff and all our families first. We will “do our best” to communicate what we know now and ask for your patience as decisions can change in a moment’s notice during this very uncertain and fluid time.
Below are some of the most obvious questions being raised about Cub and Scout Camps
Will the OA and other events scheduled for the first weekend of May happen?
Unlikely. During the Governor’s press release on Monday, April 13th there was concern for a later peak in the virus in Georgia than in other areas of the nation. Again, the situation can quickly change, and we will provide more direction on April 24.
When will a final decision be made if Cub Spring Adventure and Summer Camp will happen?
We are moving forward with great diligence, hope, and prayer towards a normal opening date for Cub and Scout Summer Camp at Black Creek Scout Reservation. We know how important Camp is and we are placing great concern into our deliberations. A decision will be announced on May 15th along with alternative/contingency plans (if needed) for “long weekend” fall sessions.
What if I cannot get a new Part C for my medical form?
The National Safety and Health Team is currently evaluating all options while being mindful of those who have valid exams, new members and adults who may have never completed a Part C exam, considering state and local authority requirements and the special review required by high adventure programs.
Can I still register or sign up for activities or merit badges?
Our online registration for everything is open and ready to accept your information. Troops that have reservations can continue to sign up for Merit Badge Classes.
Can we adjust the number of Scouts planning to attend BCSR?
Troops can make adjustments to their numbers without penalty by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Troop is not having in-person meetings, how should we collect fees?
Please just do your best. We are going to be pushing back the payment deadlines for our summer camp programs and would certainly like to have final payments one week prior to your troop’s arrival day.
In addition, everyone will get the discounted early bird rate this year except for opening day walk-in participants.
If Summer Camp is canceled will I get a full refund?
Yes. We will provide a full refund if we are unable to hold summer camp.
Should I have meetings this summer or wait until the fall when schools start back.
Again, Safety First and we’ll follow the guidelines, but as soon as the community you live in reopens, please get Cubs “BACK TO THE PACK” and Scouts “OUT OF THE COOP AND IN THE TROOP”.
Have other questions?
Email your questions to Beverly.email@example.com and we will answer and possibly share in future statements to help others.
Your Coastal Georgia Council is here and fully engaged during the Covid19 pandemic ready to assist you so please call with your specific needs or questions.
We sincerely hope everyone in your circle of friends and family are healthy and continue to encourage you to follow the guidelines of the medical professionals and the CDC.