Here’s How to Help Your Scout Advance!
The Arrow of Light, the highest rank in Cub Scouting, prepares a Webelos Scout to join a Scouts BSA troop. Fifth Grade Scouts must complete four required adventures, plus one elective adventure from the Webelos handbook, and complete the Cyber Chip award for their age.
Fifth Grade – Arrow of Light Requirements
1. Be an active member of your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old.
2. Complete each of the four required adventures:
- Building a Better World covers citizenship, flag etiquette, laws, governments, budgets and stewardship.
- Outdoor Adventurer is all about outdoor adventures, like camping and camping skills safely and with fun.
- Duty to God in Action will often be an at-home because faith beliefs in Scouting are determined by the family and everyone’s duty is different.
- Scouting Adventure covers basic Scouting knowledge, plus troop visit and troop operations knowledge and a Troop outdoor activity.
3. In addition to the four required adventures, complete at least one elective adventure of your den’s or family’s choosing.
4. With your parent, guardian, or other caring adult, complete the exercises in the pamphlet entitled How to Protect Your Children From Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide.
5. Watch the Protect Yourself Rules video for 5th Grade, Arrow of Light. (The video is located at https://vimeo.com/325064315 and can be watched on-line or downloaded and viewed off-line.) OR Earn the Protect Yourself Rules for Arrow of Light.
After finishing the requirements for an adventure, the den leader, rather than a parent, approves most of the adventures, unless the den leader delegates that role (and during this pandemic period, parents and other adults in the Cub Scout’s family may sign off on Webelos and Arrow of Light requirements). On completing each adventure completed, Scouts receive a pin to wear on the Webelos colors or on their hat.
More information about doing the Arrow of Light adventures at home with your Scout is found on – even more resources are available at which has both fun den group activity ideas plus family-led adventure resources (simple plans, videos, tips and more, like those in the adventure by adventure links above) for parents to do on their own schedules.
After earning the Arrow of Light badge, your Scout is ready to join a Scouts BSA Troop! The Arrow of Light is the only Cub Scout rank badge that can be worn on the Scouts BSA uniform.